Graham Laursen, Recreational Hockey Director
Starting August 2020 PGMHA is pleased to welcome Graham to this newly redefined position.
Graham has been coaching with PGMHA for the last 7 years. In this time he has acquired his Coach 1, Coach 2, BC hockey Coach Facilitator 1 and 2 and Development 1 Coaching Certificates. Graham has also worked with BC hockey as an Evaluator and Coach for the U15 & U16 Regional and Provincial Camps.
Graham played Minor Hockey in both the Recreational and Representative divisions from U7 through to U18 in both Fort St James Minor Hockey Association and PGMHA. Following Minor Hockey, Graham played for BC Hockey in the Junior B and later, Senior Men's AA Leagues. Graham still plays hockey when time permits in the local Men's Recreational Hockey League.
Graham will strive to provide an outstanding Recreational Minor Hockey experience while incorporating high expectations of appropriate behaviour in all venues by each player, parent, coach or volunteer both on and off the ice. Graham will promote fair play, compassion, transparency and consistency to all involved.
- Reports directly to the Director of Hockey Operations, Steve O’Rourke
- Work closely with the Director of Hockey Operations to facilitate on ice programs for Recreational teams and coaches
- Follow evaluation criteria set out by Director of Hockey Operations
- Stays current with Hockey Canada and BC Hockey programming
- Facilitate and direct Learn to Skate programs
- Facilitates and directs Skate-A-Thon or other related on-ice programming
- Coordinate and oversee Goaltender Development Programs
- Coordinate coach selection across all Recreational divisions
- Coordinate player placement and equity of Recreational teams
- Accept and screen all Recreational coach applications
- Present on-ice programs to recreational coaches
- Summarize all coaching staff and their qualifications
- Ensure coaches are aware of mandatory coach clinics and deadlines
- Coordinate audio/visual equipment for coach clinics
- Facilitate coach meetings and provide necessary coaching materials
- Attend division supervisor meetings with coaches at the beginning of the season
- Oversee and support Recreational Division Supervisors with monthly meetings
- Find alternate coaches and/or substitute for coach in case of emergency
- Coordinate player evaluations and team selection in conjunction with Director of Hockey Operations
- Report to the Executive on behalf of coaches and Division Supervisors
- Provide a Recreational Report for the regular executive meetings